5.05.2008

Guidelines - friend or foe?


A couple weeks ago, I successfully completed my first advisory committee meeting. At it I had to describe and defend my proposed research study design and get feedback on how to make it the best possible study it could be.

Here's the funny thing about my program. The program is only in its 2nd year of existence, which equates to no set guidelines for these 'milestones' you have to accomplish along the way. When I asked what the format of the meeting should be, the field chair responded with 'seeing as we've only had one student graduate in this program, the format can be whatever you want it to be'

Fact: I don't do well without boundaries and guidelines
Fact: This program has little to no set guidelines besides - go forth and do research
Fact: The meeting, although unformal and unstructured, went well, I accomplished what I needed to, and I got the green light to start working on my ethics approval
Fact: Now, the rest of my summer and academic life is self-directed

Conclusion: How does a person who needs boundaries and guidelines ever going to succeed with self-directed research? This shall remain a mystery....

No comments: