When I woke up this morning, I had lofty ambitions
1. Complete my 'homework' for health promotion class
2. Research and start writing my proposal for my thesis
3. Catch up on some RA work that I have been putting off
4. Quickly clean the house for Jess's birthday party tonight
Little did I know that when I went to flush the toilet ....nothing would happen....
So, knowing that no one was home to help me, and no one would be home to help me before I had the girls over tonight (Mike picked a great night to travel for work), I set out to investigate what the problem was.
The tank was not filling back up again. Great. But when I turned the water supply off and then on again it would fill. Ah at least I could pee a couple times. Then this ingenious strategy stopped working. So I stopped drinking coffee.
After searching some DIY websites, I figure out that I need a new 'fill valve'. Equipped with this knowledge I went to RONA and bought this new contraption
...to replace this malfunctioning contraption...
I get home, eager to get this fixed and on with my day, when I discover that the supply line from the wall to the toilet is archaic - therefore not the nice flexy material that they now make them with, but a hard metal pipe....which is too long to fit my new contraption.
Back to RONA I go.
After a litle elbow grease, voila, I have a working toilet.
So, needless to say, a lot of my initial priorities got put on hold. But looking back, the day wasn't a total waste. I learned one more thing about fixing stuff myself. I learned that with a little help from the internet and the nice men at RONA, toilet repairs need not be intimidating.
And I learned that blogging about such toilet stories leaves me with less time to get to my initial goals.
I also contemplated that fact that this story might only be interesting to me....oh well, I'm posting it anyways
1 comment:
I am very impressed. I wouldn not even have tried. My plumbing skills generally involve telephones and credit cards...
Post a Comment